Shrewsbury is getting ready for full festive mode with Christmas markets and a chance to pick out the best Christmas tree in town!
There are lots of Christmas events on the horizon. Don’t despair about missing anything, you can read our full guide to Christmas HERE for the lowdown on events, shopping, Santa visits, and workshops.
On All Weekend
Foe (15) at Old Market Hall
Friday, November 24th
There’s a lunchtime concert in the round at St Chad’s Church at 12:30pm. This week enjoy piano trios by Mozart and Clara Schumann from Anne Tupling – violin, Fiona Rattray – cello, and Richard Walker – piano. A light lunch is served afterwards.
Love Plants is holding a Christmas VIP Event from 4pm-7pm. You can explore their forest of Christmas trees, and tag your favourite one to secure it, plus there’s free delivery within a 5-mile radius. There will be complimentary mulled wine, hot chocolate, mince pies, a brass band providing Christmas music, the opportunity to have a photo with Santa and the chance to win £2,000 worth of high street vouchers.
Gindifferent is hosting another gin therapy session. This one will focus on autumnal fruits and flavours. If whisky is more your tipple, you can book on to a Whisky Tasting at the Prince Rupert Hotel from Wrekin Whiskies.
The Buttermarket has just a few more tickets left for Bongo’s Bingo (a bingo rave), from 6pm.
- One Hand Clapping is a punk band showcase at Raven Studios. The punk lineup features Dearthworms, Mouthparts, Boom Boom Womb, and Weo. At English Bridge Workshop, 8pm. Tickets £8 from Left for Dead at 14 Wyle Cop.
- Dub Pistols, Albert Shed, 8pm
- DJ Buzzword, Oil, 9pm
- Open Mic Night, Albert & Co Frankville, 9pm
Saturday, November 25th
The Shrewsbury Streetscape Project studio will be open to visitors in Belle Vue this weekend
A clutch of Shrewsbury artists are throwing open their doors this weekend for Winter Open Studios. Visit Linda Edwards in Quarry Place, Parker and Arrol and Lindsey Kennedy just off Wyle Cop, Swan Hill Studios on Swan Hill and the magnificent Shrewsbury Streetscape Project (pictured above) in West Hermitage, to see work underway, meet the artists and buy some unique gifts. For details of where and when, read our blog about HERE
There's another Shrewsbury Winter Fair from 10am – 4pm at St Mary’s Church. Whilst there, why not support the annual Charity Christmas Card Shop?
The VAN Gallery is hosting a Sell, Swap & Buy event at The English Bridge Workshops opposite Shrewsbury College from 10am to 2pm, for anyone who would like to sell, swap or buy art and craft items, new or second-hand. Free entry. Pop in to see the new ‘Winter Exhibition’ with lovely Christmas items for sale made by the talented VAN members.
Shrewsbury Library has a Lego Club from 1:30pm – 3pm – children of all ages are welcome.
The Twilight Trail at Love2Stay
Arscott Farm’s Christmas trees will be on sale from Saturday. Visit their grotto for trees, luxury wreaths, minced pies, mulled wine and hot chocolate. Open daily, 10am – 5:30pm.
Following three sold out gigs at The Buttermarket, Vicky Jackson is back by demand with her P!nk tribute act which includes a live band.
- The Endings are playing in the Buttermarket’s Cellars at 9pm (doors open 7pm). There’s currently a buy one ticket and get one free offer.
- The Post Floyd Dream, a Pink Floyd laser show, comes to Shrewsbury Abbey, 7:30pm
- Ryan Evans, Oil, 8:30pm
- HotRox, Albert’s Shed, 9pm
- Steve Edwards, Riverbank Bar + Kitchen, 9pm
- Something 4 The Weekend, The Crown in Abbey Foregate, 9pm
Sunday, November 26th
The Shrewsbury Christmas Jumper Run is kicking off in the Quarry at 10am. Choose from 2.5K, 5K and 10K with proceeds going to Severn Hospice. Book a place in advance.
Shrewsbury Museum & Art Gallery has a quiet hour from 11am – 12pm.
On Sunday evening you can watch a line-up of the UK’s best climbing and adventure films at the Brit Rock Film Tour 2023 at Old Market Hall.
Experience a tribute to country star Chris Stapleton with The Stapleton Sessions by The Southern Companion, live at The Buttermarket, 5pm.
James St Clair Wade, the artist and architect behind The Shrewsbury Streetscape Project
Local artist and award-winning architect James St Clair Wade is opening up his home for a Streetscape Open Studio this Saturday. It’s your chance to meet the man behind the extraordinary Shrewsbury Streetscape Project at his own drawing board! Be sure to order a Streetscape for Christmas. There will be some festive discounts and mulled wine available. Open 10am-1pm and 2-7pm at 5 West Hermitage Belle Vue, SY3 7JP.
You can still catch…
- The Doodle Boy’s Solo Exhibition Shadow Doodles at The Soden Collection until November 25th. See Joe Whale's new collection of work!
- At Bear Steps Gallery you can view Jordan Stokes’ photography exhibition – Picturesque, and the annual autumn exhibition from the Ffeisty Ffelters until November 25th
- Shrewsbury Drapers Company’s Textile Exhibition at Shrewsbury Library until November 25th
- Up the Garden Path, an exhibition of local printmakers, at Mrs Jones Art Shop & Gallery until November 25th
- Lines of Thought, Luke Crump’s first solo exhibition is at The Hive on Belmont until December 5th
- Ashes Under Uricon, a balcony exhibition at Shrewsbury Museum & Art Gallery exploring works inspired by the Romany City at Wroxeter until December 17th
- Hiding, an exhibition by Grace Currie is open until December 21st at the Gateway Gallery.
Neil Lloyd and Stephanie Henson from techtimeout with Simon Blake from MHFA England
Don’t forget to take some time off tech and screens on November 28th for techtimeout tuesday! The awareness day that started right here in Shropshire is back and over 1 million people have signed up so far. All you need to do is pledge some time off tech – even if it’s just 10 minutes - and give your mental health a boost. Find out more HERE.
There’s a free lunchtime concert from Shrewsbury School Chamber Choir at St Alkmund’s Church at 1pm on Tuesday 28th.
On Wednesday 29th, the Shrewsbury Symphony Orchestra has an Autumn Concert at Alington Hall. It will feature world-class soloists from Zoe Beyers on violin (Leader of the BBC Philharmonic Orchestra) and Richard Jenkinson (former principal cellist of the CBSO).
And Ex Cathedra, one of the UK's best choirs, comes to St Chad's Church for its popular Christmas Music by Candlelight event on December 1st.
From November 29th until January 7th Jack and the Beanstalk is taking over Theatre Severn for the annual family pantomime from legendary Dame and Director Brad Fitt.
The Factory Open Studios is taking place in Oswestry on Saturday and Sunday, 10am – 4pm. It’s an opportunity to see work from local artists, makers and crafters. The Claypit at The Factory will also be offering free drop-in Xmas Decoration Making on Sunday.
On Saturday, Worthen Village Hall is holding a Christmas Craft Fayre from 12pm - 3pm. You can buy homemade cake and jams, jewellery, hand-made Christmas cards and more, including a Guess the Weight of the Christmas Cake competition, lunch options, and a raffle. 50p entry.
Loppington has a Christmas Fair on Saturday as well, from 3pm-5pm.
Finally, Market Drayton has a Festival of Lights with stalls, Santa’s grotto, music, donkey rides and the light switch on at 5pm.
On Sunday you can catch the contemporary folk duo, Filkin’s Drift, at Welshampton Parish Hall, courtesy of Arts Alive.